Duke Dunsford (Expert) View all posts in this topic  
Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:41 pm
IBR: The Start and Day 1        

I spoke to Leon this morning as he was sitting on the start line. He said there were about 40 bikes lined up in front of him out of the 119 entered. I could hear lots of yelling and comotion in the background as I'm sure a reasonably large crowd was there to see them on their adventure. Leon said there were no additional bonuses this morning, only a direction sheet to one of the locations in Death Valley. He did say they were advised to get good rest Tuesday night at checkpoint #1. He surmises there will be an option there to head to Goose Bay and back to the Maine checkpoint by Monday afternoon.

Leon also said that Bob Higdon, the author of the Ironbutt.com chronicles of the rally, stopped by his room last night to say hello. I can only imagine the press our beloved little 250 is going to get over the next 10 days...and beyond.

And then suddenly Leon said, "They're starting, here we go!. See ya!". And he was gone.

Since there's virtually no cell phone service in the entire state of Nevada, we probably won't hear from
him again until tomorrow evening as he nears the Las Vegas area. Stay tuned.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic