Bill Hoddinott VA (Enthusiast) View all posts in this topic  
Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:38 pm
Re: Just for the record, what oil do you use?        

Sorry, I overlooked this question before. I used Havoline 20W-50 car oil(not synthetic) in the original '88 engine. I'm using Motorcraft 5W-30(not synthetic) in the '01 engine now. But as I said before, I don't think the brand makes any difference as long as it is a 'reputable' brand. The old-timers used to say, and it's true, "Keep good oil in it." That's about all we need to know about oil. There is no miracle oil that prevents all wear. It appears the '88 engine had no serious wear in it at 88K miles, except the camchain. The steel-on-steel bearings in chains are impossible to lubricate as well as other bearing situations, so the result is some wear. I did notice on the '88 engine that the camshafts were just a tad loose in their bearings, compared with the new condition, but these bearing points can tolerate a little looseness, in accordance with the Service Manual specs. The camshafts can spin around in there for a long time even with a little looseness, evidently, with no harm to anything.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic