beaterbike (guest) View all posts in this topic  
Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:09 pm
QUESTION MARK = ASKING A QUESTION if you couldn't tell        

I have seen plenty of 5W30 oil that isn't MARKED as energy conserving. If being energy conserving is a different attribute than simply the weight of the oil (and, because there are 10W40 oils that are marked as conserving as well as ones that aren't, I believe it is), then why would 5W30 oil automatically be conserving?

If there is a film of oil between the clutch plates in all places, wouldn't the clutch be slipping anyway? Thinner oil should be easier to squeeze out from between the contact surfaces of the plates, so I would have thought that it wouldn't cause a clutch issue. If the clutch manages to not slip without any "hard" contact points, that really surprises me because for some reason I had thought that even the recommended 10W40 and up motor oil was a lubricant and a very good one at that.

As for clueless when it comes to motorcycle mechanics, notice that I was ASKING A QUESTION. There are these things called QUESTION MARKS that people put after after sentences when they are asking something as opposed to stating a fact. When I state that it's bad for a cold engine to be idling at 8k RPM, I don't use a question mark. When I ask why lighter weight oil would cause clutch issues, I do. I had assumed that the administrators of a reasonably large forum would be able to figure out what a question mark means, but I guess I was wrong.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic