bugsy (Rookie) View all posts in this topic  
Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:24 pm
Re: Long Mileage Test        

Thanks for the info. I'd certainly think over 100,000 miles on one of these machines would qualify you to take some calculated risks in your maintenance approach, and we all might benefit from your report.
I've always had a dissatisfaction with most motorcycle maintenance regimens, especially valve adjustments. When Japanese cars with similar valve configurations of some years ago regularly would go a couple of 100k without maintenance, it's always been hard for me to understand why the valve adjustment/inspection interval should be so short on bikes. It also seems to me that with a bike that's been sold on every continent for 20-some years, you know the majority of them get no maintenance until they stop running. I >don't< ride mine into the ground - I use the performance when I need it or feel like it, but when I don't I'm quite happy to stay within striking distance of the legal speed limit at a cool 6,500 - 7,000 rpm. And I expect to do that on a lot of long trips and for a lot of miles with no drama. That's my kind of riding. I'll be quite pleased if I do as well as you.

Cheers,

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic