Jim Race (Admin) View all posts in this topic  
Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:04 pm
Crash Analysis 101        

We hear time and again, here on the board of folks crashing. Frankly, in a way that is OK. If you ride a bike, you will eventually go down. Planning ahead for that is crucial, with gear, and with training.

That being said, it's vital to *learn* from your crashes. Keith Code says (and I agree) that when you crash, time seems to slow down. The survival instinct kicks in and your brain tries to figure a way out of the horrible mess you seem to have gotten yourself into.

Racers, and especially the 250P group are wont to analyze their crashes down to the most minute detail, and I'd encourage you to do the same. Writing it down, either online or off is a great way to get it out there. Folks can help. I once helped a rider who thought he'd lowsided on the street realize he'd actually highsided.

The questions, and goal:

1) What *exactly* do I think happened? Diagrams are good here.
2) What exactly (every scratch and scrape, including marks on tires) damage did I incur? Pics are welcome as well.
3) How do I think I could I have avoided this?
4) Did I make a mistake I can learn from, and inform others about?

These questions, if answered honestly will make you a better rider in the end. But if you don't ask them, and just jump back on the horse.... Well, you may just end up a statistic.

-jim

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic