geekonabike (Addict) View all posts in this topic  
Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm
You can get used to it...        

once you figure out that it's very unlikely anything bad will happen, wind becomes more of an annoyance than something to be afraid of. Now one can still be surprised by a strong gust, and if you're leaned over in a corner it can be dangerous. I knew a pretty experienced rider who was leaned over on a ramp, and the wind put him back up and off he went with his nice and shiny new SV650. He was riding a scooter for several months while his knee healed.

But really, you can get used to it. Your tires have a lot of traction, and you'll realize sometime that you're not actually being blown that far. Well, once you ride more loosely as Brian et al have pointed out.

When I sold my Ninja the guy wanted to meet up somewhere half-way between us and there were 30 mph cross winds. I asked if he really wanted to, and I made it there but it was an adventure. I wasn't all that worried, unless I was going to be hit by a tumbleweed or something, and he made it home alive too. But when I tried such a trip after owning the bike for a year, there was one time I couldn't get back into the right lane because I was fighting the wind so much. I'd like to think I could have done it in my more experienced years.

Good luck. (This comes up a lot!)

--Mike D.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic