Lnewqban (Enthusiast) View all posts in this topic  
Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 pm
I did fall this morning = first day of second year        

I did fall this morning, when a van did run a stop sign just in front of me.

I had started the bank to turn in that corner when I saw the van coming to hit me if I wouldn't brake.

Immediately survival reaction #7 took over my brain and, before I could blink, my hand was squeezing that front brake lever.
Just on pure instinct I did in a turn what I do each day while moving in a straight line: gentle front brake without touching the rear brake.

I guess my point is that survival reactions shut the conscious system down in a fraction of a second without asking permission.
If I had had a conscious reaction, I would have straightened the bike up before applying the brake.

My gear protected me but got no help from the van driver, who stopped, looked and continued without saying a word while I had the bike over my left leg.

The bike is naked, so it only suffered twisted forks and gears lever, which did not impede continuing my trip to work.

This morning, before leaving for work, I told my wife: "Today is the first day of the second year of riding this bike".
One minute later, the bike was over me.

In my first year of riding, I have put 6,225 miles under my Ninja 250, without a mishap.

I want to thank all the fellow riders who have made and kept this website and all the good advice that I have found here, which have made this happy year of riding possible for me.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic