Alan (guest) View all posts in this topic  
Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:35 pm
Wet Ride - slick slide        

I ride in all weather conditions except ice and snow, so I thought little of riding to work with a forecast calling for heavy rains later in the day. After work, I geared up and started my commute home. It had been raining several hours, so I figured most oil / slippery stuff had been washed away.

Less than 1/4 mile from my apartment, i entered a tunnel with poor lighting. I reduced my speed and sat even more upright, as I saw several pools of water approaching. After I rode through the pools, i prepared to changed lanes prior to making a left turn. I slowed, checked my mirror, looked over my shoulder. All Clear, so a little counter-steer... and I was down, sliding across the ground, my leg under my bike, metal being ground by concrete. After what seemed like a 50 foot slide, I lifted my bike off of my leg and started to walk it to the side of the road. I practically did a back flip, it felt like I was walking on ice. Gathering my balance... I shuffled over to the side and saw that my bike's lower left fairing had major rash and the left turn signal was gone. Plus my bike can't be shifted into neutral or first gear. (I rode my bike to the shop this morning, a HD rider gave been some evil looks since I was reving my bike to red-line from a dead-stop, yet pulling off with as much acceleration as a geo-metro).

Hopefully, (beside the clutch and the cosmetic damage) the bike is fine. I've ridden in the rain before and will do so again. But I will have to analyze this crash, understand what I did wrong and figure out what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

Oh, and I will continue to be ATGATT. My ninjette is rashed up, I am unhurt.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic