funkshn (Regular) View all posts in this topic  
Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 pm
Scouted the route, had fun!        

I had my closest-ever encounter with a deer, a muley buck that popped out of the chaparral on the slope on my right, crossed the road, and plunged down the slope below. I probably got within 30 feet or so, because the thick brush hid the deer until the moment it reached the asphalt. That was on Yerba Buena Road, a narrow, rough 2-lane that winds through some jaw-dropping views of the Santa Monica Mountains.

I rode the whole route as described in the original post. It was great! I started a little after 9:00 in the morning and saw only about 10 motorcycles in the whole 55 miles, but I'm sure the later start of tomorrow's run will generate a little more traffic. "The Snake" is challenging, Latigo Canyon even more so, with its hundreds of tight turns. Latigo at low speed is like a trip to Disneyland, at high speed is a house of horrors. But the pavement is clean. The run along the ocean on Pacific Coast Highway is beautiful, relaxing, and blissful. Yerba Buena Road, which we tackle after lunch, is very technical, with many small patches of sand in the middle of the lane, demanding attention. I was riding at a moderate pace and still had three instants where I lost some traction. Almost no traffic, though, and lots of wilderness. Yerba Buena makes you appreciate what a jewel we have in these Santa Monica Mountains. The last few miles, where it crosses into L.A. County, have been repaved well and you feel like you've been given a bonus. The ride officially ends near the end of Yerba Buena Road, but I hope some folks will take beautiful Mulholland Highway with me back to Kanan Road - maybe even run The Snake in the reverse direction and stay in the mountains for a while.

I'll be at the Rock Store at 11:30 tomorrow morning. Yellow 2004 250, white helmet. Perfect weather, great roads!

Mark

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic