ToolMaker (Rookie) View all posts in this topic  
Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 am
Sunglasses and concrete        

BrianM wrote:
Is to ride with polarized lenses or visors. While they're great for cutting down the glare... they, um, kinda cut down on glare that's an early warning system for riders to be careful.

Brian,
I disagree with that. Polarized sunglasses reduce glare by cutting down reflected (polarized) light from a point source, generally the sun. That allows you to see what's behind the glare, more practical than avoiding all glare IMHO. I challenge anyone to do a test comparing polarized sunglasses to non-polarized glasses. Let me know the results.

Lobster,
Concrete worn smooth, especially if it has a little condensation on it, is about the slipperiest surface this side of ice. Try not to turn, brake, or accelerate on smooth concrete especially late at night or early in the morning. And, yes, smooth concrete will generally cause more glare, but I still recommend polarized glasses...

I think the conditions conspired against you. Worn (my assumption. true?) concrete, oil/gas/something (condensation?) on the concrete, cold concrete and tires (BTW, where do you live that you consider 50 degF warm? Neither tires nor concrete consider that warm), and a difficult to manage throttle + turn = crash.

Lessons are there.

Kate

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic