KDW (Regular) View all posts in this topic  
Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 pm
Big Bikes        

funkshn wrote:
Looking at the final post from that blog link that you sent, it's pretty surprising that almost everyone who entered chose enormous bikes like FJR1300s, Gold Wings, and big BMWs. And every single finisher rode that kind of bike. Maybe I'm putting the wrong slant on the data - maybe very experienced riders who can put in so many thousand-mile days tend to gravitate to larger bikes later in their riding careers? Maybe people chose big engines because they wouldn't be straining the engines even over many days of high speeds? I'm sure ergonomics and comfort are huge factors in the IBR, just to avoid crippling back pain or a tendency to pass out - maybe it's only possible to get that from a big bike? I dunno. But I found the pattern surprising.

Just my opinion. More horse power allows you to overcome minor mistakes easier. I didn't experience any back pain or significant discomfort on the ride. Just normal fatigue and less than I thought I would. I'll address horse power issues in the leg 3 write up.

Kurt

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic