AJinNoHills (SoCal dude...) View all posts in this topic  
Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am
My latest contribution - not all dangers come from the road        

Some come "from the sky"....

Everyone knows (or SHOULD know) that you do not ride behind, next to, or anywhere except in front of a big rig. Because 1. they can't see you, and 2. when their tires let go, they have a tendency to turn to hard, heavy flying shrapnel. And if you didn't know, now you know.

A couple of weeks ago, I'm cruising in the carpool lane on the 405 north heading home. Up ahead I see a large puff of smoke and hear a serious BOOOM! even through my headphones. A big rig tire blows out in a really big way. Oh well, not much to worry about - I'm in the carpool lane and safe, right? WRONG! I decrease my speed in case people start swerving, since the incident, while on the far right side of the road, is still about 50 - 100 yards ahead of me. As I'm scanning the cars, movement catches my eye and I look up. HOLY SHIT!! What looks like the entire tread of the tire is hurtling through the air towards my lane! Are you f*****g kidding me? Fortunately I had slowed down, but now I just about dropped anchor (thanking the heavens noone was behind me). Down it comes, right on the yellow lines, slightly in the carpool lane. The thing landed like a dead fish - splat.

I've dodged many things on the 405 - spray paint cans, the head from a push broom, a ladder, even a carpet rolled up like it had a body stuck inside. This was the first time I've ever had a "chicken little" moment. The sky is falling indeed.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic