funkshn (Regular) View all posts in this topic  
Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:58 am
Dunrocks        

In spring 2015 I was coming west from the Atlantic coast back to L.A., rushing to be back by Mother's Day, LOL. Near Oklahoma City a flat spot on my rear tire suddenly got much worse and I ended up pulling into a motel parking lot with a complete flat tire. It was 5:00 on a weekday and the Kawasaki dealer nearby, in Moore, wasn't interested in helping me. They suggested that I call House of Kawasaki, 15 miles away on the other side of town.

I did, and they agreed to stay late to help out a traveler. Got a tow truck to take me over there and they only had the stock OEM Dunlop tires for my 16-inch wheels. I was out of options so I bought a rear tire. As they were putting the bike back together they noticed some huge bulges on the front tire, a Metzeler FeelFree. It had plenty of tread but looked like a tread separation was imminent. So I got a "Dunrock" on the front, too. Paid plenty for the service and was very grateful for the opportunity to do so. I scooted out of town early the next morning and FIVE tornadoes touched down in the OKC area later that day.

Anyway, I've had those tires on the bike ever since. I've been lazy about swapping them out; the cheapskate in me, I guess. I've tried them on mountain roads, aware of the low opinion in which they're held, and they actually did rather well for me. So I've been leaning a little harder lately. Yesterday, I accelerated hard out of a tight turn on a freeway offramp and I could feel the rear tire let go - just a bit, thankfully, and it corrected quickly when I eased up on the throttle. But at least now I have some idea where the limit is. I have always thought that's the hardest thing to learn about riding; the only way to find out where the limit is, is to exceed it, and usually bad things happen then.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic