ebrammer252 (Lurker) View all posts in this topic  
Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:57 pm
Advice on starting/breaking in rebuilt motor?        

I have a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that I had lying around with a busted transmission and barely 16k on the whole thing. I'm pretty handy mechanically and have always wanted to rebuild a motor for fun. So I tore this one down, replaced any worn out bearings, re-ringed the Pistons, dingle-balled the cylinders to a nice cross hatch. Plasti-gauged everything to spec, new valves/springs, set the valve lash etc, and reassembled with assembly lube. Turns out the transmission was fine, just a bent shift fork that got replaced. Now I know the odds of it working are pretty slim as I've never done this before, but it was mostly a fun learning experience.

That being said, my question is, I've got the motor back in the frame, working on wiring everything back up. I'm not wanting to buy a new drive chain/sprockets or tires until I know (by some miracle) the motor works. How should I approach attempting to start this motor for the first time? It's sat dry (minus the assembly lube) since early 2015. I'm looking for advice on how to prep it to try and start it (get oil pressure, make sure nothing's dry and without oil etc) and advice on how to break it in without necessarily driving it around because it won't have a drive chain or decent tires on it. This was all one big experiment and I know there's a probability it'll fail, but hell, I had fun doing it, thanks in advance!

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic