Iannosaurus (Rookie) View all posts in this topic  
Sat May 07, 2016 2:32 am
Craigslist Issues        

I ran into some issues selling my bike on CL and am looking for some guidance. I left my 07 Ninja 250 sitting for a while ago after I graduated college and brought it with me down to Georgia. I am now moving to Alaska and decided to sell it on Craigslist. I listed it for $650 including that the bike had been sitting for a year and wasn't running, but would probably be fine with a carb rebuild. The guy who came to buy it asked if there were any mechanical issues, and I told him that it was running fine before I left it sitting. I offer to let him open up whatever he wants, but he said "no, I trust you" and decides to take the bike as is. He comes back the next day with a truck, buys the bike, and contacts me 2 days later saying that the top end of the engine was damaged, because someone had installed the cam shaft 180 degrees off time, that valves were bent, screws were loose/missing and the engine likely wouldn't run as is.

He is now saying that he overpaid for the bike and wants at least $200 back, because of the money that he is going to have to put into it to get it running again, including rebuilding the top end of the engine. I bought the bike with about 1500 miles, and put about 1800 more miles on it without any mechanical issues. The only time I opened the engine cover was to check the valve clearance, and everything looked fine when I did. If there was any mis-installation, it was the previous owner of the bike that did it. Does it sound like this guy is trying to scam me? I didn't have any knocking or other engine problems that I have read about with bent valves recently. I'm not very knowledgeable about all of the internal engine components, so it's hard for me to even make a value judgment on his story checking out. Thanks for your help.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic