M (Cabana Boy) View all posts in this topic  
Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:44 pm
The Moving Wall - Vietnam Veteran's Memorial - Wagoner Co, OK 9.29.07        

On Saturday, September 29th, 2007, I sought out a Ninja 250 'Quest' that has a lot of historical significance and emotions for many who visit this traveling memorial. The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, The Moving Wall is on display in Broken Arrow, OK. This was a short 3.3 mile ride to the display at the Blue Bell Creamery, who graciously lent the land and infrastructure for this massive display.

The first sight you see is a U.S. Marine corps Sikorsky UH-34D Seahorse piston-engine helicopter. Many veterans were standing around the Seahorse, talking about having ridden in one in Vietnam. The children were also drawn to this massive helicopter, and strained to peer inside the chopper.

Motorcycles were allowed to park in front of the UH-34D, while the cagers parked in hay fields and were trolleyed to the site.

The first thing that overwhelms you is the sheer size of the wall. I was unable to stand back far enough to get the entire wall into a picture.

Some visitors talked quietly, while others somberly looked at the wall with a 'thousand mile stare'.

Display of colors

The city of Broken Arrow, OK lost seven men during the war. The city of Coweta, OK lost eight men, which was the highest per capita loss of life within the U.S. Coweta city limits adjoin Broken Arrow where the Blue Bell Creamery is located. I live closer to this small agricultural town than I do Broken Arrow, as I'm located in an annexed section of rural Wagoner County, OK. Total time in the saddle for this Quest was 6.6 miles. Godspeed to all who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Note: This Quest is posted as a ride. Political discussion concerning the Vietnam War will be deleted from this thread.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic