Zak (Lurker) View all posts in this topic  
Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:48 pm
Re: Anyone have experience with these Firstgear pants?        

I've got the earlier version of the HT Air Overpants (version 1 rather than 2.0), and I love them. They are comfortable, real easy to get on and off, and seem to be holding up very well.

They seem to run a little large at the waist. I typically wear 31-32 jeans and got the 30 waist First Gears which fit fine over my regular clothes.

My only real complaint is there is no tall option for the small waist sizes. The length (rated at 31.5 and I usually wear a 32 jean) is fine when standing, but when riding they pull up above my fairly short boots. They probably would be fine with longer boots though.

The knee area can get hot in warm weather since it is solid fabric rather than mesh and has the padding, but I'm fine with it since it offers a bit of additional protection. I'm just using the standard padding which isn't great. I don't know how the optional armor would affect fit/use. I had tried the Fieldsheer Titanium-Air mesh pants (not overpants), and their CE armour made them pretty stiff and uncomfortable.

The wind proof liner makes them fine for me over regular pants down to ~45F. The leg zippers on the wind proof liner are a bit small which makes them a little slower to get up or down, but I usually don't bother zipping them anyway unless it is really cold. I haven't ridden with them in decent rain yet, but I would probably zip them for that as well. Both the pants and the liners have double zippers that can also go down from the top which makes it fairly easy to get stuff out of your side pants pockets as well. A way to access my back pants pocket to get my wallet would have been nice, but I just have to remember to swap it to the back pocket in the overpants if I'm going to need it.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic