SQLGuy (Rookie) View all posts in this topic  
Sat May 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Latest on the 2007 project bike        

This is the one that I got as a "kit" that was in terrible shape. After replacing bent valves, broken rocker arms, incorrect carb jets, missing airbox, and fixing a bunch of other stuff, it didn't start easily or run well. Finally, after bringing the jet sizes up just a bit - to 100 main, and 40 pilot, it tuned easily and was running well.

So, literally the first time my daughter took it out to ride it on her own, she thought, for some reason, that you press the starter button again to stop the bike. What happens when you do that, in case you're curious, is that you jam the starter, which made me think the engine was seized. I was just about to completely give up on it, when we were able to get it to start... but with no headlight.

I don't believe in coincidences for failures like this. Sure enough, when I started troubleshooting it today, I found that two of the stator coils were open, and when I pulled the flywheel cover to see why, I found that two or three teeth had been broken off the large starter gear, and at least one of them had ripped up the stator.

If it's not one thing, it's the other.

On a different note: any suggestions on how to remove a baked-on break in sticker from the tach?

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic