M (Cabana Boy) View all posts in this topic  
Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:13 pm
easy newbie EX250 project: install an inline fuel filter        

I finally got around to installing an inline fuel filter at the end of July. This is a simple project that can be done with minimal cost and tools.

Left side of the cycle. The petcock is the manual lever that has three controls (reserve, on, off). The petcock controls the flow of fuel from the tank to the carburetors. the black hose runs from the bottom of the petcock to the carburetor intake.

Why install an inline fuel filter? The factory one is not visible without removing it and it is about 1/10 the size of after market filters.

Tools required; a razor blade and some pliers.

Parts required; hose, hose clips, and an inline fuel filter. You can buy all at most automotive parts stores. I chose to buy the hose and hose clips from Kawasaki.

This particular filter is sold at just about every automotive parts store in the state of OK. Cost is $1.99 to 2.99 each.

Look at the fuel direction arrow. The arrow must point towards the carburetors. Otherwise, the engine will die as soon as the bowels empty their stored fuel.

Pull the hose off the petcock and drain the fuel out of it. I use an aluminum can with absorbent in it to solidify the fuel.

Next, cut the hose off as shown in the picture.

Install the fuel filter on the other hose piece as shown. Notice that the filter is oriented so that the fuel flows from the petcock to the carburetor.

Next, install the other end of the inline fuel filter to the hose on the carburetor side.

Cut off the hose enough to allow it to bend and reconnect to the petcock. Pay attention that the hose is long enough and doesn't kink. It is easy to cut off additional hose, but not to lengthen it.

Here is a close-up of the installed inline fuel filter.

Make sure you carry either a spare straight hose (I carry the one I bought from Kawasaki) or a spare inline fuel filter (do both, actually). This is so if the line gets clogged with debris on the road, you can remedy the line rather than be broke down.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic