MikeS (Rookie) View all posts in this topic  
Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 pm
West Virginia Ride - Goshen, VA to Marlinton, WV 9.28.2008        

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdsaunders1/WVNinjaRide92808#
(Click on download to view pictures in larger format)

Saturday was a wash out so the ride was moved to Sunday the 28th. My Dad and I left Harrisonburg around 9:30 as the roads were drying. The ride down VA-42 was excellent and we passed two other motorcyclists enjoying the morning. We gassed up at the BP station in Goshen and then rode a block over to the Mill Creek Cafe where Goldfinch was waiting. We chatted a bit and them embarked on our journey. Our first rest stop was on the Overlook right before Warm Springs, VA on Rt. 42.

From there we continued to Marlinton, VA. The weather was surprisingly comfortable and the skies partly cloudy. We stopped and had lunch at a quaint diner in Marlinton. Walked around after lunch to cross the Greenbriar trail and check out the sad remains of the burned rail depot (to be rebuilt). Goldfinch pointed out an old "Rambler" dealership by the tracks. Peering through the glass we saw the cloth covered silhouettes of a few 70's -80's cars in a private collection.

After suiting up, we turned around and headed back towards Goshen. The road was so much fun and I had a hard time trying not to speed through the twisties. We stopped at a very interesting Anticline on our way back located to the left of highway 39. From there we went a mile or two before stopping along a pretty creek to take some pictures.

Continuing on, we revisited the overlook by Warm Springs. Saw a few police officers drive by and later spotted them sitting down the mountain waiting to hand out performance awards. No matter we were hovering around the speed limit keeping our noses clean. We concluded the trip at the Mill Creek Cafe where Goldfinch headed home to catch the end of the MotoGP while my Dad and I observed the largest traffic jam in the history of Goshen. All in all, I had an excellent ride and look forward to our future trips.

Post a Response | Reply with quote | Return To Forum 
View next topic View previous topic